No announcement yet.

Wichita State looking into women’s basketball transfers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty good editorial. However, I small detail regarding the following statement:

It is admirable that the Athletic Department is bringing in a third party individual — in the form of faculty athletic representative Julie Scherz — to look into the allegations.
    I don't believe the Athletic Department had anything to do with bringing in Julie Scherz to review this situation. I could be wrong about that though.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 30, 2015, 04:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmesome View Post
      Does anyone know if Endicott was in charge of softball during the Judy Favor years?
      Yes, she was. Coach Favor was hired at the time of the transition from Belknap to Schaus. I believe BE led that coaching search.
      Last edited by wusphlash; April 30, 2015, 05:00 PM.
      Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
        Yes, she was. Coach Favor was hired at the time of the transition from Belknap to Schaus. I believe BE led that coaching search.
        I can confirm that as well.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
            I can confirm that as well.
            And when it became apparent that Coach Favors was not working out, Schaus pointed out that she was not really hired on his watch.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
              And when it became apparent that Coach Favors was not working out, Schaus pointed out that she was not really hired on his watch.
              Schaus made the announcement:

There's a lot going on in the world of NFCA. Stay in the know with all the latest news, events, and activities that surround the National Fastpitch Coaches Association

Moose, who did Schaus say that to?
              Last edited by shoxlax; April 30, 2015, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Non-revenue, low visibility sport. Basically they let her 3 year contract run out. No buy out. Schaus then hired Tim Walton who was a tremendous success while being, from what I was told, extremely popular with the players.

Comment

• Duplicate

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                    Non-revenue, low visibility sport. Basically they let her 3 year contract run out. No buy out. Schaus then hired Tim Walton who was a tremendous success while being, from what I was told, extremely popular with the players.
                    I'm only doing this from memory so I could be way, way off, but wasn't Coach Walton a hard nosed dictator with a contract list the girls had to sign with about 50 different hard core rules and restrictions?

Comment

• I know several players that played for Walton and he was strict but they never had to sign any contract. Walton's players loved him and would walk through a fire for him.
                      The bottom line is that the coaches BE hires only have to meet one criteria. She will not hire the best person for the job, she will hire the best "woman" for the job.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                        I'm only doing this from memory so I could be way, way off, but wasn't Coach Walton a hard nosed dictator with a contract list the girls had to sign with about 50 different hard core rules and restrictions?
                        I really don't know. But let's not lose focus on what the investigation of Jody Adams is really about. It is not about whether a Coach is or should or should not be a strong disciplinarian. I think the great majority would favor coaches who maintain strong discipline. I am not sure you can really be successful as a Coach without this.

This investigation from what I can gather is about how that discipline is applied. Is it applied in a fashion that is applied consistently and fairly and that ultimately has the growth of the student-athlete as a person as its ultimate result or is it applied in a mean-spirited, demeaning, intimidating, vindictive fashion that ultimately crushes the spirit of the student-athlete.

According to the news reports none of the grievances are about discipline. They are reported to be about "an atmosphere of anger, isolation and personal insults".

If the investigation finds that former is what is happening and the complaining players are simply not up to the rigors of a quality D-1 program then Jody has nothing to worry about. If the latter is found to any significant degree then some kind of action is certainly warranted.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 1, 2015, 09:07 AM.

Comment

• Maybe I'm pessimistic, but I don't see how Jody is going to survive this. Even if she is retained in this position (either cleared or determined to be at fault but retained with some sort of discipline and/or restrictions), it seems that her brand as a coach has been severely damaged and it will be very difficult to recruit the quality of athletes needed to compete at this level.
                          ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                            Maybe I'm pessimistic, but I don't see how Jody is going to survive this. Even if she is retained in this position (either cleared or determined to be at fault but retained with some sort of discipline and/or restrictions), it seems that her brand as a coach has been severely damaged and it will be very difficult to recruit the quality of athletes needed to compete at this level.
                            The media coverage of this has been pretty much local from what I can tell. Of course, it is easy to discover with a quick internet search even if it is local. In the pre-internet days it would probably be of little consequence if she was retained because the news would be pretty much contained locally. Really hard to predict how this would impact recruiting. I suppose the biggest thing is that the coaches competing for the same players as Jody may very well make sure Jody's recruits are aware of the allegations. OTOH there are published reports of support for Jody as well that she can counter with.

If Jody keeps her job the 1st test will be if the incoming 3 freshman stay with their commitments and Jody picks up a couple of more Juco signings in addition to the one made last week. If that happens then she could be okay. So far, so good on that front.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 1, 2015, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                              Schaus made the announcement:

There's a lot going on in the world of NFCA. Stay in the know with all the latest news, events, and activities that surround the National Fastpitch Coaches Association

Moose, who did Schaus say that to?
                              Yes, but he made the hiring announcement after being at WSU less than three weeks (he came on board on July 1, 1999). Schaus was not here long enough to have done the legwork for the hire. I think it is widely understood that BE did the hire.

The statement I am remembering was from an Eagle article when Favor's contract was not renewed in 2002. The Eagle search engine is so pitiful that I don't care to look through the 7K or 8K of possible articles to find it - assuming of course that I did not dream it to begin with. :)

Comment

The Eagle search engine is so pitiful that I don't care to look through the 7K or 8K of possible articles to find it
                                Now there is a statement of fact.

Comment

Working...
                                X